Yay! It's the last week of school - can you believe they work right up until Christmas??? And who knew when we were at school that the teachers were looking forward to the last day as much as we were? The crazy thing about Korean schools is that the kids have all taken their final exams about 2 weeks ago, so they have been totally over school since then and have been a nightmare to do anything with. Pretty much every class starts with some kid asking "Movie??" to which I answer "Yeah right"; this causes some excitement until they work out that this means no.
The other strange thing about Korean schools is that this isn't considered the end of year; they will have five weeks holiday, then come back for two weeks, then the school closes again for Spring Break - and that's the end of the year, so goodbye grade six's then. I will be ecstatic to see most of them go, all except for this one class (in the photo) which for some reason is totally awesome. The other grade six classes are about as excited about English as I am to go to the dentist, but for some reason this class is a lot of fun. So in a ploy to get everybody's photo I made them make pretend yearbooks today and had everyone write each other messages in English in them (hey, it's kind of educational). We took a class photo and photocopied it and stuck it on the front of the yearbooks, which ended up being kind of cool. The kids totally got into it, and my favorites (yes, I'm not ashamed of it. I totally have favorites) all came and asked me to write something in theirs which was really nice. This does not mean by the way that I am in any way budging from my original opinion that kids are scary and ought to be kept away from, but some of the little buggers might be okay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Awesome idea about the year book! A nice intuitive teaching leap :-) I reckon they'll remember that experience.
ReplyDelete