This has been an adventurous week for me as I have confronted two of my fears - singing and getting naked in front of people. Actually, I exaggerate a little - I'm pretty okay about the naked thing, especially after the hamman in Morocco and the gym here. The singing on the other hand... as I said to my friend Corrie, I'm happy to get naked with you, but I'm not singing! Okay, I did sing, and it was actually fun even, although I have a new found respect for people who can hit the right note at least once in a song; karaoke is hard! Plus it turns out that I have no idea what passes for pop these days, so I have to resort to the classics. But they have a cool set up here for it - instead of an open bar scenario you have your own private room, so you are free to sound as atrocious as you like and only your friends will care. Although it did feel a bit like I was walking into a brothel, as I entered this very flashy lobby area with young men standing around waiting to hustle you off to your room... I should say here that I have no actual idea what a brothel is like, I'm just going from books and movies :-)
Okay now the naked thing; last night I finally got around to visiting a jimjilbahn (spell check really doesn't like me) which is a Korean spa. Seriously, this idea needs to get picked up in Australia. First you scrub off, then you pick a spa to get into, there's about 3 with different temperatures. Oh and a freezing cold ice pool that I went into for exactly 4 seconds. So you loiter there (in the spas) until you're all nice and pruny, then get out and exfoliate all over. After rinsing you put on some lovely pink PJ's, and go to an area where both the men and women can hang out together. We just grabbed a mat to lie around on and ate something called Patbingsu, which is shaved ice with fruit and red bean and syrup and cornflakes (?!) and which is completely delicious (see above). Then we got into a sauna and sweated a little more, then finally went back to have a final rinse off and get dressed. I think it may actually be worth living in a cold climate if I get to do this often - anyone who ever lived with me in Melbourne knows how much I love my baths, and this is even better. I will definitely be a regular!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh my gosh! They need that here, too!! I'm learning that foreign countries have much better spas than we do here in the states (and they are probably more affordable!)
ReplyDeleteOh yeah I forgot to mention that the whole experience - dessert included - cost about $8 Australian dollars :-)
ReplyDeleteMy mind just about exploded thinking of a karaoke/nudity combo (Shelly suggested strip Karaoke ;-)); glad you cleared that up for me!
ReplyDelete