Sunday, October 10, 2010

Namdaemum Market


Namdaemum Market
Originally uploaded by kirijae
So I was loitering around Naemdaemum Market again this weekend and risked taking a few photos. Naemdaemum is a lot of fun to explore, although I tend to spend a lot of time wandering around in circles. It's also great for buying T-shirts and jumpers printed with nonsensical English sayings, which I am developing a strange fondness for. There is no way however that I am squeezing into the jeans, or, unfortunately, the shoes, thanks to my enormous (by that I mean average) sized feet :-( The street food alone however makes it worth the trip.
I have had quite the culinary exploits of late, including a shrimp restaurant on Friday night where they put a pot of live shrimp on a camp stove in front of you on the table and you watch them cook. They jump around so much the whole pot is rocking, at least at first; then there's just a lot of sizzling. I was a little disconcerted, mostly I think by the fact that they smelt delicious as they cooked. They were in fact amazingly delicious, and I don't normally like shrimp even when I don't have to watch them cook. I drew the line however at the silkworms, which are considered a bit of a delicacy here in Korea. I have promised myself that I will eat one while I'm here, but only if there's someone to take a photo so I can prove I've done it. My co-teacher was a little bemused by my emphatic refusals, as she thought she was offering me a treat :-)

2 comments:

  1. The market sounds awesome! And you are so adventurous with food - even considering a silk worm :-)
    I didn't ask the post office people how long the parcel would take to get to you, but it's on its way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not too keen about watching my meal die before my eyes...good thing I'm not a seafood eater!

    ReplyDelete