Thursday, September 9, 2010

Classes

So I guess I should say something about my job! It's not too scary, at least most of the time. I have a co-teacher called Judy who is with me most of the time. I say most of the time because she seems to enjoy torturing me by coming later and later for each lesson - probably her way of making me stand on my own two feet, when I'm actually pretty happy letting her do all the work ;-) I have six different grade five classes, and five different grade six classes, which I teach twice each every week. Each class gets the same lesson, so we do the same lesson six times for the grade fives, and five times for the grade sixes, if that makes sense. It generally turns out that the first lesson is a shocker, but we (by that I mean I) improve with each one. It can get pretty repetitive, hopefully it doesn't do my head in after a couple of months.

On Monday and Thursday afternoons I have the grade one's and two's, which definitely wakes me up. Seriously, these guys are pint-sized energizer bunnies, that barely speak a word of English, which doesn't stop them from yelling whatever words they do know as loudly as they can at me. But there's nothing like a rousing tune of A - a - apple to break the monotony :-) They are completely cute, although I suspect there may be a few little monsters amongst them as well. It turns out that the younger the student the better; I like my grade one's better than my grade two's, and my grade fives better than my grade sixes, who are way too cool for school.

I don't think teaching is for me in the long term, but it's a good experience. I'm not huddling under the desk with my hands over my head at least, so that's definitely progress, right?

2 comments:

  1. Awsom, it dosn't seem like the classes are going to be nightmare. What are the average ages of the people you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyrie..yr description reminds me of my classes 4 yrs ago..I always felt teaching is not for me..too hard to control..good atleast yr kids are small..you are right the smaller the better!..have fun..can you take kids outside in the garden or yard to teach sometimes?..when I had enough of them I used to find my way out like that..

    ReplyDelete