Friday, April 24, 2009

Syrian Music Festival

Oops almost forgot, I went to a Syrian music and dance concert last night which was absolutely gorgeous. It was sort of a combination between ballet, Middle Eastern, interpretive, and the occasional spinning dervishes thrown in. The costumes were amazing, so colourful and beautiful, and the music and dancing was fabulous. I felt really privileged to be able to see something like this live in Morocco - and for only 30 dirham, which works out to be about $5.50 AUS. The guys from Rockside arranged for us to go, which was really nice of them. We all had mint tea - what they call Moroccan whiskey :-) - afterwards and it was a really nice night.
One last thing, a friend and i went on a culinary expedition of the souk the other day, determined to try all the food and drinks that we had been too chicken to try until now. So we had freshly squeezed orange juice, dates, the best donuts either of us had ever eaten, and freshly 'squeezed' sugar cane juice, which i had been a little hesitant about but was actually really delicious. Everything only cost a couple of dirham each, and was so yummy I don't know why i haven't been doing this sooner! I think that in Marrakech I am just going to eat my way from stall to stall, belly be damned :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment