I had to say my final goodbye to the guys at Rockside today, which was really kind of sad. Rockside is a group of guys who just want to improve their conversational english, so request volunteers to come and chat with them. I started just going on Fridays, then Wednesdays and Fridays, then finally Mondays as well. It was just so great talking with these guys - they are interested in absolutely everything, and give a lot more thought to deeper questions of religion, identity, culture etc than I ever did at their age! Actually more than I do now probably...
Anyway, this is a photo of myself and Narbil and Vivienne - another volunteer who goes to Rockside. Narbil spends his weekends reading poetry, and he was always bringing in poems for us to discuss. This was my favourite one, by the poet Rumi;
Come to the orchard in spring
There is light and wine
and sweathearts in the pomegranate flowers
If you do not come these do not matter
If you do come these do not matter
They took a small video of me saying goodbye to them, and saying what my time with them meant. It was pretty hard being put on the spot (!!!) but they promised to put it on facebook, so I will have something funny to show you all soon :-)
So this is my last full day at the house - I leave after lunch tomorrow. I've been running around with my camera for the last couple of days trying to capture my time here at Rabat, which is of course impossible. It's hard because I'm sad at leaving, but also really excited about seeing Damien again and doing lots of stuff with him. Thank god I've broken up my goodbye's a bit - if I had to go home right now I think I would be devastated! Maybe in two weeks time I'll be a little more ready. Not that I'm not looking forward to being in Darwin again, and seeing everybody, but Morocco is a fantastic place which I will be very sad to leave. Hopefully I will come back someday - inshallah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment