Friday, November 12, 2010

Chocolate Stick Day!

Okay so yesterday was Chocolate Stick Day in Korea - otherwise known as Pepero Day, not sure of the Korean spelling. What is the significance of Chocolate Stick Day you might ask? If you think about the date yesterday, 11/11, it kinda looks like chocolate sticks if you squint really really hard... So I thought great, chocolate! That is, until, I was onto my third sugarhyped class for the day with two more to go. Seriously they were hanging from the rafters - one boy could literally not sit still in his chair, I was watching him actually vibrate.

I did have one major awww moment though; I think it was my second class, and I'd just gotten through my greeting for the day when one boy interrupted to say something in Korean to my co-teacher. My co-teacher told me he said that even though I was only new to Korea the boy felt really close to me and really liked coming to my class. Awwww! But it really shows the difference from Korea to Australia doesn't it? If an Australian kid said that in class I'm pretty sure he would be teased for the rest of his life. So that kinda made up for the rest of the day which was just exhausting. I wasn't sure of the etiquette either when I was presented with a plastic-wrapped sausage by one of the male teachers at lunchtime - apparently much to the envy of the other female teachers!??!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I think the sausage is quite significant, particularly as it was plastic-wrapped.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Miss Dragon; I'd really like to know what is going on at that school!

    ReplyDelete