Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mount Toubkal


Mount Toubkal
Originally uploaded by kirijae
Okay so this is where I discovered that I am just not cut out for hiking at high altitudes. We tried to climb Mount Toubkal, the highest mountain in Morocco, at something like 4300 metres, give or take a couple. We drove the first 1000, then walked about 2000 metres the first day and slept overnight at a snow refuge. Damien wasn't feeling so good, so I did the next bit by myself. I left at 4:30am and took 3 and 1/2 hours to walk 840 metres, at which point I gave up with 60 metres to go. I have never been so completely exhausted in my life I think, not to mention feeling completely crappy from altitude sickness and not being able to breathe - towards the top I was stopping about every 5 steps to try and get my breath back. I think my guide was completely disgusted with me for getting so close but not making the final stretch, but all i was thinking was that I'd have to walk the entire way down - 2840 metres - in the same day. At least I only had to wear crampons for the top 900 metres, but I could feel every muscle in my body the next day - I could barely hobble from the bed to the bathroom. But I got some great photos, and made the important discovery that when I say I enjoy hiking, I mean strolling along on nice flat ground, preferably in a nice warm place :) This photo shows the summit behind me - it may be only 60 metres, but it looked a long bloody way to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment