Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Orphanage

Okay, my most scariest experience in Morocco to date; the orphanage. Seriously, what was i thinking when i put my hand up for that? I mean, I know that kids scare me, so i then go and volunteer to work in an orphanage???

So anyway, i arrive there, and I'm asked first where i would like to work, the infants or the toddlers. I say the infants, because i figure they're pretty cute until they learn how to walk and talk, so they say great, then take me straight to the toddler's section. Huh?

Unfortunately the nurses in the toddlers section don't speak any english, and they're not terribly friendly either - i guess that if they've met one volunteer they've met them all. When I first arrived I was led to a small nursery with two rooms and 12 toddlers in it. Whilst I do think that the nurses were somewhat amused by the look of sheer panic on my face as I was surrounded by crying, sniveling toddlers all calling out 'mama', mama', and trying to all be picked up at once, they (the nurses) were soon yelling at me and waving their arms frantically, which i interpreted to mean that they wanted me to do something but i never did work out what exactly. Eventually I took a couple of the toddlers out to the garden, and tried to entertain them for 4 hours. Thank god there were other volunteers there, playing with their own toddlers, so i just tried to do what they did. I kind of thought that this would help me become more comfortable with kids, but I actually think that the opposite is happening. All of the kids seem to be a big puddle of drool and other less nice fluids for most of the time - i knew i should have been more suspicious when i was given a smock to protect my clothes when i got there!

It's actually pretty sad seeing all these kids here, they're just so desperate for love and the slightest bit of attention. The bedrooms are scary, all these tiny cots lined up like domino's. And the kids have the oldest eyes that just stare at you. I had to drag one little boy kicking and screaming back to the nursery when i left, and it was just heartbreaking 'cause i knew he wouldn't get out again for the rest of the day, just be stuck in this tiny little room with the others. Some of the older little girls - say about 6-9 - are beautiful, so incrededibly polite and quiet; if i was going to adopt any i'd adopt one of them. Somewhere in Darwin Damien just got a chill up his spine and doesn't know why ;)

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing experience!! My heart goes out to those children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Kyrie! that's a down to earth experience. My heart misses a bit knowing about orphan children. May God bless them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, Kiri - now we're all just quite happy and content dealing with slightly smelly, completely rude Palmerston patrons. And we'll count our blessings while we're at it . . .
    Albertha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty impressed, Kiri. And you know, you are bringing a small ray of sunshine into these children's lives, no matter how scary it is so kudos to you! I've always thought if I completely lost my marbles or had some sort of severe brain injury and decided I wanted kids, I would adopt. I mean, my genetics aren't so brilliant they need replicating and, as you have just experienced, there are lots of kids in the world that need a home (it's kinda like the RSPCA) Keep up the good work :-)
    Sarah
    PS: this blogger thing is doing my head in; it keeps telling me my password is incorrect. Evil thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyrijae - the orphanage sounds pretty scary but yes, whatever you think of it you are bringing a small ray of sunshine. But please! I do remember how you used to bring home the stray kittens ... these are not kittens!!!
    This is wonderful experience snotty noses and all.
    Stay strong beloved, you are valued.
    Love, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kyrie, how heartbreaking. You are brave to visit there and so kind.
    Fes looks and sounds wonderful - the pictures in my head of Morocco are all from there by the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete